SAC PREP ONE— St. Francis of Assisi
- Students will become familiar with St. Francis of Assisi
- Students will see a picture, hear a storybook and see a video about the saint
SAC PREP TWO - The Introductory Rites
- Children will understand that celebrating requires participation.
- Students will discuss some ways we participate in the celebration of Mass.
- Students will understand that there is a certain order to the liturgy of the Eucharist.
- Students will become familiar with the Introductory Rites.
GRADE THREE - The Mass as Sacrifice
- Children will begin to see further how the Mass is a sacrifice
- Children will review the material studied this past trimester
- Children will complete second trimester report cards
GRADE FOUR - King David
- Students will hear the story of Samuel and Saul from the Bible and have the opportunity to act it out
- Students will know several stories of King David including his meeting with Goliath, how he sinned by having Bathsheba’s husband killed and how he brought the ark to Jerusalem
- Students will know that David wrote psalms and will read some psalms from the Bible
- Students will visit the church and see the ambry; they will associate the oil which God had made for the Tabernacle with the oil of Sacred Chrism.
GRADE FIVE - Holy Items
- Students will review the Liturgy of the Word.
- Students will go over exams.
- Students will either go to the church for a presentation on the things we see at Mass (afternoon sessions) OR see a DVD which will lead them in exploring the meaning of candles, water and gestures used in Liturgy. (morning sessions)
GRADE SIX - Abraham’s Family Tree
- Students will review the stories of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
- Students will make Abraham’s Family Tree
- Students will review key vocabulary from this unit and explore parallels between these characters and their own lives
GRADE SEVEN - Resurrection
- Students will be familiar with the facts of the Resurrection
- Students will understand the qualities of a glorified body
- Students will think about how the common symbols of Easter reflect aspects of the Resurrection
- Students will learn about the symbols on Ukrainian Pysanky
GRADE EIGHT - Called to Protect - Boundaries
- Students will be able to define the three kinds of personal boundaries.
- Students will be able to give examples of how child molesters try to violate kids’ boundaries.
- Student will know that the vast majority of adults care about young people and want the best for them.