GRADE ONE— St. Francis of Assisi
- Students will become familiar with St. Francis of Assisi
- Students will see a picture, hear a storybook and see a video about the saint
SAC PREP TWO - The Mass, Part I
- Children will understand that celebrating requires participation.
- Students will discuss some ways we participate in the celebration of Mass.
- Students will understand that there is a certain order to the liturgy of the Eucharist.
- Students will become more familiar with the Introductory Rites and the Liturgy of the Word.
THIRD GRADE - Christ Healed the Great Wound
- Children will begin to understand the results Christ’s sacrifice: 1. He reunited man and God. 2. He paid the price for our sins. 3. He opened the gates of Heaven.
- Children will realize that people have been celebrating Mass since the time of Christ.
- Children will take a look at the Introductory Rites at Mass.
GRADE FOUR - King David
- Students will hear the story of Samuel and Saul from the Bible and have the opportunity to act it out
- Students will know several stories of King David including his meeting with Goliath, how he sinned by having Bathsheba’s husband killed and how he brought the ark to Jerusalem
- Students will know that David wrote psalms and will read some psalms from the Bible
- Students will visit the church and see the ambry; they will associate the oil which God had made for the Tabernacle with the oil of Sacred Chrism.
GRADE FIVE - Review of the Mass
- Students will review all of the parts of the Mass.
- Students will become familiar with the Concluding Rite
- Students will be introduced to an image of sacraments as “inns” where we are strengthened and refreshed for our journey
- Students will understand that at baptism we receive gifts of faith, hope and love
Read John 6: 1-15 in their Bibles and answer the questions on page 73 in their books.
SIXTH GRADE - God Calls a People - Why Moses?
- Students will explore the various Names of God.
- Students will understand that sometimes people may not appear qualified for the missions God gives them
- Students will explore the idea of having a person relationship with God
- Students will learn about the Ten Plagues
GRADE SEVEN - Church
- Students will know that St. Peter was the first Pope.
- They will know that the Pope is the head of our Church.
- Students will recognize that “Mystical Body of Christ” is another name for the Church.
- An opportunity will be given for students to consider their place in the Mystical Body.
- Students will in a very simple way explore how some world religions compare and contrast to Catholicism.
- Students will understand that Catholics are Christian and that there are other baptized Christians who do not share in the fullness of Catholic Faith, though they are part of the Communion of Saints.
GRADE EIGHT - Talking About God
- To encourage students to think more deeply about some of the our beliefs
- To summarize what makes us Catholic.
- To help students understand the importance of the Nicene Creed.