GRADE ONE— Saint Patrick
- Students will watch a video about St. Patrick
- Students will learn that Patrick explained the Trinity by using a shamrock
- Students will review the Trinity
next week and say who their saint is and tell something about him/her.
SAC PREP TWO - The Liturgy of the Word
- Students will get a glimmer about what the Solemn first Communion Mass will be like.
- Students will explore the Liturgy of the Word through use of the text and a video.
- Children will play two listening games as a way of emphasizing how important it is to listen during Mass.
GRADE THREE - What Christ’s Death Accomplished
- Children will begin to understand the results Christ’s sacrifice: 1. He reunited man and God. 2. He paid the price for our sins. 3. He opened the gates of Heaven.
- Children will realize that people have been celebrating Mass since the time of Christ.
- Children will take a look at the Introductory Rites at Mass.
GRADE FOUR - King David and King Solomon
- Students will know several stories of King David including his meeting with Goliath, how he sinned by having Bathsheba’s husband killed and how he brought the ark to Jerusalem
- Students will know that David wrote psalms and will read some psalms from the Bible
- Students will consider why someone as faithful and good as David would sin so seriously.
- Students will be introduced to King Solomon.
GRADE FIVE - Communion
- Students will more fully appreciate receiving Jesus in communion.
- Students will recognize that “communion” means “come to union”.
- Students will share bread and grape juice.
- Students will practice receiving communion with unconsecrated hosts.
- Students will understand that the most important part of the Mass is the consecration.
GRADE SIX - Moses
- Students will become familiar with Moses’ early life.
- Students will be aware that the “narrow escape” aspect of Moses’ story may be historically true, or it may be a folk-history device to illustrate Moses being chosen by God – or something in-between.
- Students will watch a video version of Exodus 3-4
GRADE SEVEN—Holy Spirit/Pentecost
- Students will review the story of Pentecost and recognize that this is the first time the Holy Spirit came upon the Apostles. They will identify Pentecost as the “Birthday of the Church”.
- Students will become familiar with the outward signs by which the Holy Spirit was experienced in Scripture. They will understand that as humans we need to experience the Spirit in things we can see and touch.
- Students will consider some of God’s creation (wind, fire, oil, water) and see how these things can give us hints of the blessings that the Holy Spirit can be in our lives.
- Students will receive some preparation for later discussion of sacramental signs.
GRADE EIGHT - Called to Protect - Part Two
- Students will know that there are lots of ways to respond when someone tries to violate their boundaries, and they can respond in a way that fits their own personality.
- Students will be able to demonstrate several ways to respond if someone tries to violate their physical, emotional or behavioral boundaries.