SAC PREP ONE - God’s Grace
- Children will understand that God’s presence in us is called Grace
- Children will learn that we first receive God’s Grace at Baptism
- Students will recognize that they became a member of the Church at their Baptism
- Children will visit the church and see the Baptismal Font
- Children should understand that when they bless themselves at the doors of the church, they are reminding themselves of their baptism.
their own baptism with their parents. Parents should complete the little “certificate” on page 28
and to show the children a picture of their baptism.
SAC PREP TWO - Baptism
- Children will learn that at baptism we receive God’s grace - His very own life in our souls.
- Children will learn that Sacraments are special ways Jesus gave us to receive God’s grace. They will look forward to receiving two more Sacraments this year.
- Children will learn that at Baptism we become members of the Church – Christians.
GRADE THREE - The Promise of a Savior
- Students will review the story of the fall of Adam and Eve and will learn the vocabulary: Original Sin, the Fall
- Students will review the idea of Grace as God’s life in our souls
- Students will recognize that Jesus is our Savior and that He died on the cross to save us from our sins
- Students will know that we first receive God’s Grace at Baptism and that we must work to keep God’s Grace in our souls
- Students will become familiar with St. Therese of Lisieux
- Students will make Sacrifice Beads for themselves
GRADE FOUR - Mortal and Venial Sins
- Students will be review Actual Sin, Original Sin, sins of Thought, Word and Deed and sins of Omission and Commission.
- Students will understand that some sins can completely destroy our relationship with God. These are called mortal sins.
- Students will know that mortal sins have 1) serious matter, 2) full knowledge and 3) full consent.
- Students will understand that venial sins damage our relationship with God.
GRADE FIVE - God Speaks Through Signs
- Children will understand that God speaks to us through signs.
- Children will know that special words and signs are associated with the celebration of the Sacraments.
- Children will be presented with a definition of “Sacrament”
- Children will be able to name the seven Sacraments and categorize them.
- Children will be introduced to the terms “Rite” and “Liturgy”.
GRADE SIX - Creation
- Students will know that the opening pages of Scripture speak of God’s great love for us.
- Students will become familiar with the first story of Creation in Genesis, Chapter 1.
- Students will realize that this story is written in a repetitive, poetic style.
GRADE SEVEN - Angels
- Students will review the “ladder of creation”
- Students will understand that humans are part of both spiritual and material
- Students will recognize that we believe in resurrection of the body; we do not become angels when we die
- Students will read some Bible passages and watch a video that will help them understand more fully the role of angels
GRADE EIGHT - Christian Faith: Risk and Reward
- To encourage students to think about their own attitudes toward and relationship with Jesus
- To help the students understand that any real faith requires a degree of risk and therefore some personal courage