GRADE ONE - Listening to God
- Students will understand that we can listen for God talking to us.
- They will realize that God speaks to us in many ways – in prayer, in the Bible, and through
- other people who care for us.
- Students will have the opportunity through a story and a song to think about God’s
- conversation with us.
- Students will explore ways we can tell whether other people are communicating God’s words and love to us.
HOMEWORK: Parents, please read a Bible Story to your child, from a children’s Bible or a
Bible story book.
SAC PREP TWO - Jesus Shows Us How to Love God the Father
- Children will learn Jesus’ two Great Commandments.
- Children will explore ways to love God (based on first three commandments):
- We can pray.
- We can say God’s Name with love.
- We can celebrate the Lord’s Day – Sunday – by going to Mass.
GRADE THREE - Abraham - Father of God’s People
- Students will learn that man had to wait many years for the coming of the Savior.
- Students will recognize Abraham as a person who had faith in God and obeyed Him.
- Students would be able to retell the story of Abraham and how he passed the test of faith.
- Students will recognize the word Sacrifice as a gift given to God out of love
GRADE FOUR - Noah
- Students will understand that the Bible begins with what are called “Sin Stories” that relate how humans turned away from God.
- Students will do a picture meditation on Sin.
- Students will become familiar with the story of Noah and the Ark
- Students will be exposed to the idea that the elements of the story have a greater meaning – the water as a sign of baptism, the ark as a figure of the Church, and the one door in the Ark as representing Jesus
GRADE FIVE - Baptism
- Children will understand the value of Baptism
- Children will know that people can be baptized at any age.
- Students will identify conversion as turning away from their old life and becoming Christian
- Children will be able to explain most of the chief signs in the Rite of Baptism
GRADE SIX - Creation - How the Story is Told
- Students will read the second account of creation from Genesis and compare it with the first
- Students will be able to explain the symbolism of breath and naming.
- Students will discuss the Catholic view on evolution.
GRADE SEVEN - The Fall/Free Will
- Students will review the Creation story from Genesis
- An opportunity will be provided for students to discuss God, Satan, Original Sin and Adam
- and Eve.
- Students will be presented with a simple definition of Original Sin
- Students will recognize that we can learn by listening to those who know more than we do, or we can learn the “hard way” like Adam and Eve did
GRADE EIGHT - The Church - A Community of Believers
- To present the vision of the Church as a community of believers living out the ideas and values of Jesus
- To get the students excited about participating in this preparation for Confirmation
AND Students should read the article and prepare to talk for a minute summarizing why Maximilian Kolbe is worthy to be a saint.