SAC PREP ONE - Christmas
- The catechist will see how familiar students are with the Christmas story.
- Children will have practice relating parts of the Christmas story and using the vocabulary (stable, manger, Bethlehem, etc.).
- Children will have the opportunity to discern secular symbols of the holiday from religious symbols.
SACRAMENTAL PREPARATION - The Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Children will practice evaluating whether actions are sins, accidents or temptations.
- The idea of the Sacrament of Reconciliation will be introduced.
- Other terms for the sacrament will be presented - Confession, Penance, along with the concept of absolution (and the word "absolve")
GRADE THREE - Purity, Honesty, Truth
- Students will learn that our bodies are holy, temples of the Holy Spirit
- Students will learn that the 6th and 9th commandments tell us to respect our bodies and those of others in thought and deed
- Students will learn that we must respect the belongings of others (the 7th and 10th Commandments) in thought and deed
- Students will learn that they must respect the truth (the 8th Commandment)
GRADE FOUR: Abraham
- Students will review the story of Abraham
- Students will put together a short play of the story.
- Students will recognize that a covenant has two parts - God's part and our part.
- Students will further explore the concept of "types" or "figures".
GRADE FIVE - The Introductory Rites
- Students will recognize that Love is at the center of the celebration of Eucharist.
- Students will become familiar with the Introductory Rites..
GRADE SIX - Abraham and Isaac
- Students will re-familiarize themselves with the story of Abraham and his sacrifice of his son Isaac.
- Students will understand that Abraham sacrificed his will, which is what God wants each of us to do.
- Students will explore how they could sacrifice their own will.
- Students will become familiar with St. Edith Stein
Read through the scenarios in Master 21 and think what the loving thing would be to do – and how that would be a sacrifice of will.
GRADE SEVEN - The Kingdom of God
- Students will know that Jesus’ public life began when he was around 30 years old, that until that time he lived a hidden life as a carpenter in Nazareth.
- Students will know that Jesus was tempted in the desert.
- Students will know that Jesus had many apostles and twelve disciples.
- Students will be able to explain what a parable is.
- Students will know that Jesus taught by telling parables.
- Students will become familiar with a number of parables.
GRADE EIGHT - Jesus Teaches and Heals, Part 2
- Students will re-familiarize themselves with the variety of Jesus’ miracles.
- Students will have an opportunity to watch a video about some miracles in the early Church
- Students will understand that it is the message behind the miracles that is most important for us to consider.
can tell the class next week.