GRADE ONE - Jesus Calls Apostles (Vocations)
- Children will know that Jesus had twelve Apostles.
- Children will be familiar with the story of Jesus calling the fishermen.
- Children will understand that Jesus calls each of us to love and serve Him in a special way.
- Children will learn a song about our call, with hand motions.
SACRAMENTAL PREPARATION - Special Words, Signs, Places
- Children will know that special signs (things we see) and special words (things we hear) are associated with all Sacraments.
- Children will recognize “I absolve you from your sins” as the special words associated with forgiveness and understand that the gesture the priest makes holding his hands over, or touching, the penitent’s head, is a special sign of forgiveness.
- Children will have the opportunity to visit the reconciliation rooms, and the confessionals.
- Children will become familiar with the story of the Forgiving Father (Prodigal Son).
GRADE FOUR - Jacob
- Students will hear the story of how Jacob stole Esau’s blessing and how he was tricked when choosing a wife.
- Students will learn that Jacob changed his name to Israel and that the Israelites were God’s chosen people.
- Students will understand the importance of a blessing
- Students will understand that God can turn anything to His purpose and be able to recognize the word Providence
- Students will take an exam over the year’s studies so far and complete their report cards
GRADE FIVE - Liturgical Music
- Children will meet one of our music ministers.
- Children will become familiar with our organ and with how our music is selected
- Students will see where the choir and ensemble members gather and practice for the Mass
GRADE SIX - God’s Plan of Salvation
- Students will understand the importance of the spoken word in Biblical times and explore our feelings about it today.
- Students will become familiar with the continuing adventures of Jacob; Jacob’s ladder, his marriage to Leah and Rachel and how he wrestled with an angel.
- Students will learn about the life of St. Martin de Porres
GRADE SEVEN - Reconciliation
- Students will understand the difference between mortal and venial sin.
- Students will have the opportunity to deepen their appreciation of the Sacrament of Penance.
- Students will be familiar with the concept of “near occasion of sin”.
- Students will understand that conscience must be informed.
Do an informal “Review of the Day” each night. Look at MASTER 16.1 for an idea of questions to use. Do a drawing illustrating one of the Seven Deadly Sins.
GRADE EIGHT - Called to Protect, One
- Students will be able to define and identify the three types of personal boundaries
- Students will be able to give examples of how child molesters try to violate boundaries
- Students will understand that the vast majority of adults care about young people and want the best for them.