GRADE ONE— Jesus Teaches Us to Love God
- Children will learn the two great Laws of Love (Love God/Love Others)
- Children will begin to make a poster to remind them of these laws
- Children will know three ways they can love God
SACRAMENTAL PREPARATION - Steps to the Rite of Reconciliation
- Children will understand that celebration of the Rite of Reconciliation must begin at home with a prayer to the Holy Spirit and an Examination of Conscience.
- Children will do activities that will help them become familiar with the steps of the Rite.
- Children will hear a story about forgiveness.
GRADE THREE - Jesus and the Passover Supper
- Children will review the Passover, and recognize that Jesus celebrated the Passover meal every year.
- Children will identify the Last Supper as, not only the last meal Jesus had on earth, but as a Passover meal he had with his apostles.
- Children will recognize the Last Supper as the first Mass.
- Children will know that the priesthood was instituted at the Last Supper
- Children will understand the way Jesus linked the Eucharist and service to others, through his washing of his apostles’ feet at the Last Supper.
GRADE FOUR: Joseph, Part 2
- Children will to re-tell the first part of the Joseph story.
- Students will see a video about Joseph in Egypt.
- Students will have the opportunity to review the important stories we have covered so far.
GRADE FIVE - Eucharistic Prayer
- Students will become familiar with the Eucharistic Prayer.
- Students will understand that the words of the Consecration are the words Jesus spoke at the Last Supper.
- Students will recognize that we offer ourselves at Mass.
- Students will review for next week’s exam.
GRADE SIX - Joseph
- Class will continue to explore the story of Joseph.
- Students will be introduced the idea that Joseph “prefigures” Jesus and that this is another way to refer to Joseph being a “type”.
Use the sample test to study for the exam.
GRADE SEVEN - Acceptance of the Father’s Will
- Students will review the Liturgical Calendar and the season of Lent.
- Students will understand that Lent begins with Ash Wednesday (this year on February 21) and will be prompted to think about how they will spend their Lent this year
- Students will become more familiar with the events of the Passion, through a video, an activity, reading and discussion.
GRADE EIGHT - Called to Protect, Part Three
- Students will understand why it is difficult for kids to tell someone if they are being sexually abused
- Students will identify who they could tell if someone is sexually abusing them, or a friend
- Students will know the words to say to tell their parents or another person they trust if someone is sexually abusing them or a friend.